I had to leave work early Tuesday afternoon as the super storm is predicted to hit the Chicago area late afternoon based on reports this will be the second or third super storm historically so on my way home I dropped by Seven Eleven convenience store to buy some food in anticipation of the storm, I bought two loaves of bread, a gallon of 2% milk, a gallon of orange juice, half a dozen noodle soup in different flavors I thanked god for whoever invented noodles it's a life saver, and some batteries for my flashlight as I was anticipating in case there will be a power outage and all I paid for the stuff which I bought was less than twenty five bucks yes I only paid less than twenty five bucks ,I did not know that I could save this much! The super storm is somewhat a learning experience for me.
As I drove near my apartment my Landlord's parking space is available so I immediately parked my car and hurriedly I went inside my apartment as mother nature started blowing its wrath. Two hours later on I was comfortable settling on the couch when the doorbell rang ding dong ding dong I hate that sound of the door bell I thought as I opened the door I could not believe the man standing in front of my very eyes was my Landlord " I am warning you I will have your car towed if you don't get it out right now!" was his words and at the back of my head was a question He would have my car towed on this kind of weather condition and besides ninety nine percent of the time he does not park His car on his parking space why now? So fast I ran to my bedroom and hurriedly donned my winter suit and moved my car... and parked it a block away from my apartment I was still lucky I thought!
Few hours later on just before midnight strike I already finished reading two issues of Financial Times ,the Economist ,People Magazine and as I was on page 123 of Brian Tracy's book entitled Maximum Achievement I noticed that someone is trying to get his car out of the street , the man was trying to maneuver the car back and forth and side to side for almost thirty minutes I said to myself who the heck is out there in the middle of blizzard and snow storm and as I came closer to the window to see who is this person in a miserable situation although I could hardly see what's going outside because of the snow covering the window I could tell that it was my Landlord I know the car he's driving by heart although I felt bad when He told me to move my car, I felt it was my obligation to help Him but how ? was the question, the wind was blowing so hard accompanied by snow , as my mind was debating and thinking on ways to help my Landlord I noticed that there was silence outside aside from the scary sound created by the blowing wind and as I looked through the window the car was already gone and so was my fear that something happens to my Landlord and there was a sudden rush of disappointment as my Landlord's parking space is still unoccupied up to this time, that......w..cked man I mumbled.
Wednesday was nothing but long and boring day I browsed the internet and finished reading Brian Tracy's book, finished my noodles and about to consume the bread, nowhere else to go but in the four corners of my apartment waiting for mother nature to calm down and rest!
Thursday morning I was getting ready for work and as I expected my car was almost half buried with snow and I don't have anything to remove the snow off my car aside from snow scraper that I always have in my car I thought I could not get out of the street before nine o'clock and I will be late for work and as I turned around a man was behind me with him was a shovel " I will help you " he said with a smile, I thought he's an angel, who would have thought that someone will help me and I did not even ask for his help and after almost fifteen minutes getting the snow off my car and clearing the street for my car to get through I handed him money as a "thank you" for his help and he said " no you don't have to pay me I helped you just like I helped my Sister just buy something hot for yourself like coffee it is very cold" He said, so I thanked this stranger again and I waved my hand goodbye . As I was driving to my work I thought I felt so bad Tuesday afternoon ..with this neighborhood , with my Landlord but I was wrong ,so wrong ....
There are still many people out there a Good Samarithan who's willing to help and not expecting something in return but a goodness of the heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment